Thursday, June 5, 2008

a very big week for me and cole

This week has been very big for me and Cole. Tuesday, Cole had 4 shots so he could go to Kindergarten this year. He was very nervous about getting shots.I told him it would be a quick poke and that was it. We arrive at the doctors' office and Cole is whimpering the whole way into the building. I look at him and say, "Cole, Mommy has to get some blood work done, do want me to go first so you can watch me?" He shakes his head "yes". So, I go into the room to get my blood drawn. Cole is sitting across from me. I say, "Come here, Cole. Come stand next to me where you can see. There's nothing to be scared of." So, he reluctantly comes to stand by me. The nurse walks over and begins to prepare my right arm. She pulls out the needle, I quickly steal a glance at Cole, his eyes are huge and his face is turning pale. I say, "Cole? Are you okay?" He makes a whining/whimpering noise and just stares at the needle. In goes the needle and out comes my blood. It fills not one tube, but 3 tubes. By this point, Cole's eyes are even bigger, which I didn't think possible after how huge they got the first time, and he looks as if he is going to faint! As I try to hold in my laughter that is just waiting to explode, I manage to say, "Cole, you can go sit down now." He slowly backs away from me, keeping his eyes on the needle and blood the entire time, and goes to sit down. Well......I think I managed to scar my child for life! Now how do you think he acted when it was time for him to get 4 shots? LOL

The next big thing was that Cole taught himself how to ride his bike without the training wheels. While I was making dinner, the boys went outside with their dad while he worked on his motorcycle. Cole pulled out his bike, put his helmet on, and began practicing. Chris and I had been out with him before to try and teach him, but to no avail. I kept watching silently out the window as Cole kept putting his feet on the pedals and pedaling for a few seconds. I thought, "He's going to do it. He's going to teach himself." Sure enough! About 20 minutes later, Chris was calling me outside to watch our son ride his bike! I stood there and watched as tears streamed down my face! This was too much for me! My 5 year old had learned to ride a bike and was going to school all in the same summer!


1 comment:

Tisha said...

aww, yay coley! next summer you'll have the training wheels off his dirt bike!