Tuesday, August 5, 2008

where i work

Yesterday, while driving in my car and listening to the radio, I overheard the dj talking about a radio contest to win concert tickets. I didn't hear him say which concert. I think it was a choice of three different concerts if you won the drawing. All you had to do to qualify was call in and say your name and where you work. I thought, "Hmm...some free concert tickets would be nice. I should call in just for the fun of it and put my name in the drawing." I tried calling on my cell phone but kept getting a busy signal. So, I put the cell phone to rest and decided I would try again when I got back home. When I got home, I told Chris what I was doing. When he heard that you had to work somewhere to qualify he told me, "But you don't work anywhere. You work at home." I told him, "Yes I do work. Even if it is at home, it is still a job and I should be just as qualified as anyone else who goes to a 9 to 5 job and gets paid by the government." He said, "Okay, you can try but I don't know if they'll accept that." (Now, I want to clarify that my husband does understand that a stay at home mother is the best job that a woman can have and he does not think that they do not "work". He fully supports stay at home moms and does not look down on their role at all and think they do not "work".) I tried the radio station a few more times and finally got through. The dj answered the phone, asked my name, and then asked where I work. I said, "I work at home. I'm a stay at home mom." He replied, "Oh. Another homemaker! (so another stay at home mom must have called too - good for her!) That's a very busy job." I said, "Yes it is. I have two boys and it's the best job that there is." He told me that he gives extra points in his book for being a stay at home mom because that is the best and most rewarding job out there.

I do not have anything against mothers who work. I, personally, believe that a woman's place is in her home with her children. I am BLESSED that my husband has a good job that he can go to everyday so he can support his family and I can stay home and raise our children the way God wants us to. Obviously, without two incomes coming in we live simpler than two income families, but we don't mind at all. We have everything we need. Our kids want for nothing. We pay our bills on time, we go on vacations, we buy ourselves extra material things, WE ARE BLESSED!!!! And I know we are blessed because we put God first in our lives. We don't live simple because of only one income, we CHOOSE to live simple so we can have only one income!

I applaud all the stay at home mothers who love what they do - keeping their home and raising their children - and I am proud that I took a chance and called the radio station, not knowing if they would accept being a stay at home mom a "job".

1 comment:

Tisha said...

so did you win tickets?!?!