Wednesday, June 2, 2010

roofing

This Memorial Day weekend had been planned out for a while. Danny, Brian, Kelly, and the kids were coming into town to help Chris and Joe re-shingle Joe's roof. Saturday came and they got an early start. Chris showed up with donuts, and they started.

Photobucket

It was only supposed to get up to 72 degrees that day. I think it was high 90's. Not to mention the men were up on a roof! The shingles were so hot! No matter what you did up there - you burned! The guys said sitting down burned their butts, standing up burned the bottoms of their feet - they couldn't catch a break. We felt so bad for them. To make matters worse, Chris was wearing his old running tennis shoes from high school! Yes, I said high school. We've been out of school for almost 11 years! The soles of his shoes were falling off! So, while all the others guys who were wearing shoes with soles that were still attached and were still getting their feet burned - Chris was wearing tennis shoes with partial soles and getting his feet SCORCHED! lol

Photobucket
(I tried to put an arrow and write something on this picture in paint, but it was a lot smaller than I thought it would be. The arrow is supposed to be pointing to part of his sole that is dangling down.) It didn't take long after I showed up for Chris to ask me to head into town to buy him some new tennis shoes. :)

Also, notice that Chris is wearing a harness. Joe bought all the men harnesses so they would be safe while on top of his roof. Obviously, the harness is supposed to have a rope attached to it so that way if you fall, it catches you and keeps you from hitting the ground. Well, as you will notice in the following pictures - Chris is the only one actually attached to a rope. The other men are either wearing a harness and no rope or not wearing one at all! And I have to add that the fact that Chris is attached to his rope is not because he's a wimp. He was worried it would come across that way. I told him it just shows everyone that he's the responsible and sensible one who cares about safety and sticking around for his family. :) lol

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
(Also note that Chris is wearing my gardening knee pads. lol Hey, whatever works, right? They definitely saved his knees though!)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
(Notice Joe's fancy knee pads. Those were Kelly's knee pads from when she played volleyball in high school! lol Yeah, we're pretty redneck in these pictures. Don't judge our family from what we wear, please.)

Photobucket
(Is it kind of bad of me that I took this picture waiting for him to trip and fall while trying to climb down the ladder? lol Would have served him right for not wearing a harness and rope!)


Photobucket

Photobucket

The Roller Blades:
Thursday night we ate dinner at Subway. I was so exhausted from everything I did that day and it was so hot that the last thing I wanted to do was slave over a hot stove! So, we went to Subway before baseball practice. Well, we had time to kill after, so we went across the street to Meijer so we could have Mason show us some toys he liked for his birthday. We had to get his present that night because the rest of our weekend was jam packed. While shopping for a present, Chris found Toy Story roller skates that turn into blades. Mason instantly fell in love with them! He also found Cole some roller blades. Big boy ones. They begged and begged. We figured we might as well since Sunday we were going skating for Mason's birthday. We took the boys' skates to Joe and Paulette's Friday night and they skated all night out in the driveway. Then all day Saturday, this is all they did with their cousins! It was perfect practice for them and they had a blast!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
(He had to sit down and take a little break. :) Isn't he the cutest?!)

Photobucket

Photobucket
He stopped and said, "Mom! Watch this!".....

Photobucket
See the wheelie? lol I love the face he makes with it.

Photobucket
Mason and his best friend - Haley. :) He loves Haley! All Saturday morning while we were getting ready to go see his cousins, he kept saying to me, "I so sited to see Haley!" :) It was so cute! He thinks the world of her! And I'm so happy that she doesn't mind playing with him and giving him the time of day. Thanks, Haley. I know he'll remember that when he gets older. Kids never forget the older kids who played with them and actually spent time with them.

The guys shingled til 9 o'clock Saturday night. They ran out of shingles for the very top row of the garage. All in all, they DEFINITELY put in a hard days' work! Those guys worked and worked and worked! They took a break about halfway through and they all crashed wherever they found open floor in the house. They laid down and fell asleep from exhaustion! At one point, Paulette said to Kelly, "I'm so surprised that Brian is so worn out!" Kelly replied, "Mom, he has a desk job!" lol Same for Chris. They're not used to doing this kind of stuff. Well, one thing was definitely determined before the day was half over - they are NEVER re-shingling a house again! :)

1 comment:

Tisha said...

i love that some have on harnesses but no rope...why wear the hot harness if its not doing any good? lol.