Friday, January 7, 2011

Cole's Detective Party

Cole's birthday party was a lot of work to plan, but tons of fun. He originally wanted a dirt bike themed party, but I had no idea how I was going to plan games and activites that had to deal with dirt bikes. Especially since this was an indoor party due to the snow. I wracked my brains thinking of stuff, but in the end, I couldn't think of anything. So, Chris gave Cole some ideas of different party ideas. A detective party was the one he liked. At first I was ecstatic because I thought, "This is a piece of cake! Soooo much easier than a dirt bike party!" WRONG! Especially when your husband gives you the idea of a game where the kids have to figure out a mystery. Well, then I HAD to do it! It sounded too cool and too much fun. So that's what I set out to do. I had help from Chris (well, I MADE him help me with the game since he's the one who came up with idea in the first place), and I asked Dad for help and Joy gave me some ideas too. Finally, after putting everyone's ideas together, the detective game was slowly taking shape. I recruited family members to help play the suspects in the story. I was very excited but nervous. I wasn't sure if the game would make sense to the kids - if they'd think it was fun - if the adults would have fun doing it - it was a big chance. But party night arrived and everyone showed up playing their part. It was so much fun. My dad was so much fun. I gave him the part of the Russian cab driver and he played the part well. Accent and all.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Joe was the police officer. He walked around with handcuffs and a toy gun. :)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Mom was a librarian. Kelly was a music teacher. Linda was a photographer. Terry was a mail man. Gordie was a janitor. And Tisha was the vending machine owner.

Photobucket

Photobucket

When one of the kids wanted to make an accusation, they were supposed to take all the suspects into our room and say who they think it was in private. If they were right - game over. If not, then the game continued, but this way none of the other kids heard who they thought it was. Grant was so cute. He took everyone in the room. He just stood there and stared at everyone. I said, "Ok, Grant. Who do you think stole the pencil?" He just turned and stared at my dad. It was so funny. He didn't say anything. He looked so serious. Like maybe he was afraid of my dad. LOL It was so funny.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I gave each kid a Rubiks cube. Since those are kind of mysteries, I thought it went along with the theme of the party. I think Brian was the only one I saw playing with it. And he figured it out too!

Photobucket

Time for presents!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Lucas dug right in to that cupcake! :) It was so funny. He was smashing that thing all over his face!

One of the big things this year was air soft guns. It's always something new every year with our family. Settlers, Phase 10, Mexican Train, Paintball, now - Air soft. Everyone goes all out and buys up all this stuff, then next year it will be something new. :) But they have a blast though. Chris left the house while I was planning for the party and set out to buy him and Cole some air soft guns. Everyone was bringing theirs over so they could have a war out in our yard after the party.

Photobucket

Photobucket

They all suited up, got their ammo and guns ready, dressed warm, took the old couch that was in our garage out to the back yard to use for hiding behind, and they were off to play guns!

Photobucket

Photobucket


I think they all had fun. :)

2 comments:

Organized Chaos said...

Your Dad was the BEST! and Grant staring at him was hilarious! Good Party!

grans6 said...

loved the party! You did a great job. Your dad was great!!