Friday, April 30, 2010

Laughter, The Best Medicine!

I completely agree with that! 100%! And I'm sure you know the answer to the next question....You know who causes the laughter for me?....Yes! My kids! They are so wonderful! Almost every day, Chris and I will sit back and just laugh, look at each other and say, "How did we get so lucky to have the cutest kids ever and the funniest kids ever?!" They are seriously full of more personality and good looks than I could have ever dreamed of! They are so smart and the little comments that they come up with crack us up every day!

Cole is so clever! He comes up with questions and things that are so amazing that a 7 year old would even think of those things. Mason has facial expressions that keep us entertained every day. His voice is so sweet and innocent (well, when he's not being really loud and obnoxious lol). He likes to stay up late with daddy, curled on the couch next to him under a blanket and play the DS, all the while his legs are draped over his daddy's. Chris just eats it up. You can just see the love pouring out from Chris. It's their little special time. Mason stays there next to Chris for about 20 minutes or so, then he turns off his game, come finds me, wipes his eyes and says, "I want to go to bed now. I'm sleepy." It is too precious! Then he walks off and climbs into his bed without any arguing and falls asleep.

Cole is so sweet in how he is so observant to everything going on around him and if mom or dad are sick. He is always the 1st one to want to help out, make us a card, or snuggle up close. He's almost 8 but he's still a snuggler - unless you're standing at the bus stop and the bus turns the corner on your street. Then he pushes you off and tries to act cool. :) He is sensitive - sometimes it's sweet and sometimes it's annoying. But, for his age, it's mostly sweet. Now don't get me wrong - they have their moments where they try the soul and ones' patience, but for the most part, I am so proud of them and proud to be their mom!

When we go out in public, we always get compliments from strangers on how well behaved our kids are. That just makes my proud-mom-meter go sky high! I am bursting with pride and love for my kids when that happens. And I secretly give myself and Chris a little tap on the back for being good parents. It just helps make it worth all the disciplining and being strict in the right areas and constantly striving to be consistent when strangers approach you to tell you how well your kids are behaved. I think that doesn't happen too often anymore - judging by the way I've seen kids act around here, at least. Yes, we are proud parents! Bursting with pride and love for our kids!

Cole is so smart, but I have to say that I think (poor kid) that he has more book smarts than common sense smarts. Sometimes he says stuff that is like, "Whoa! Where did that come from! Lights are on but nobody's home!" The other day he took a bite of some chicken that my mom had made. He asked, "What is this?" I said, "It's chicken." He replied, "I know it's chicken, but what kind of chicken - is it a cow or a pig....?" Chris and I just laughed and laughed. I looked at Cole with a puzzled look as if to say, "Did you seriously just ask that?" Then I said again to him, "Cole. It's a chicken." To which he replied with a little frustration, "I know you said it's a chicken, but what kind? Is it a cow or a pig or something?" OH MY!!! At this point I was starting to get a little frustrated but it was so funny that I couldn't stop laughing either! See what I mean? No matter how mad you want to be that your kid is asking the most stupid question ever, the laughter wins, hands down! If they get me laughing, then it's all over. I'm a mess if you get me laughing. I can't stop! Laughter keeps me from getting angry and upset and raising my voice and probably saying things I would regret later. Last night at dinner, I made hamburgers with bbq sauce and french fried onions. I asked Cole if he would like some fried onions on his burger. He asked, "What are fried onions?" Chris just looked at him, smiled and said, "Cole. They are FRIED ONIONS! Onions that have been fried!" Cole got a sheepish smile on his face and said, "Oh." :) You can't be mad at that. We all have those why-did-I-just-ask-that-question kind of moments.

Mason is in a class entirely by himself! That kid is crazy! But a good crazy! He's just so hyper and loud and silly that you can't help but sit back, watch and laugh. He comes up with sayings are so grown up for his age and they sound so silly coming from him, because he has a little attitude when he says them that you are just biting your lip back from smiling too big and encouraging the attitude. The boys wanted to go grocery shopping with me yesterday. Cole wanted to go so we could buy him some new tennis shoes. Mason, obviously chose to go because his brother was going. Cole tried to talk him out of it. He said to Mason in his bribing voice, "Mason. If you stay here, you get to play with all these cars by yourself." He turned on the charm big time! He was trying to make it sound so good. Mason just said, "No. I want to go with you and mom." So, we got ready to head out shopping. On our way out, Mason went and gave Chris a hug and kiss and said to him, "Be good while we're gone. Don't do anything naughty." He was dead serious too! It was hilarious. Chris just looked at him and said, "I'll try, Mason." It was so funny. While we were out shopping, the boys got Chris a birthday present. Well, I picked it out and told them what it was. :) When we got home, I told the boys to not tell their dad what we bought him at the store! I knew Cole was old enough to know how to keep a secret (for the most part), so I zeroed in on Mason mostly. I explained what a secret was and how this was a surprise for daddy. Mason said he could keep it a secret and not tell. So, fingers crossed, we entered the house. Right off the bat, Chris says, "So, did you buy me anything?" As I quickly drop my bags of groceries and head back out the front door to bring in more, I hear Cole quietly stutter in response, "Noooo....??" Like he wasn't sure if he was really lying or if he should say yes but it was a secret. Then Mason runs to the front door, opens it up and yells out to me, "Mom! I didn't tell dad when he asked! I didn't tell him the surprise!" I just laughed and said, "Ok, Mason. Good job." I mean, what can you do? He's three! When I walked back into the house, Chris was just sitting on the couch laughing. "So....you got me something at the store?" he asks with a huge a grin on his face. I just smiled and said, "Maybe." He showed no mercy to Mason, poor thing. He kept bugging him all night! He knew it was a lost cause with Cole. Cole's lips were sealed. It probably helped that Cole escaped to his room. Probably so he wouldn't slip and tell. lol Mason just kept walking around the house playing, minding his own business while his dad tried to trick him into telling him what we got him. He tried asking what stores we went to to see if there was a special one that would give him a clue as to what we got....Mason would just say with a serious expression and tone, "Dad. I can't tell you. It's a secret." Chris would laugh and keep badgering him. At one point, Mason rolled his eyes, put his hands on his hips and said, "Dad. Just stop. I can't tell you. You know that!" We died laughing with that one! He was so grown up and had such grown up attitude. Like Chris was a child and he was correcting him. He did good! I was so surprised that he didn't crack under pressure and give in. Luckily, Chris gave up and didn't keep bugging him. Not sure how much more Mason could have held on to that secret! :)

So, you see why I say laughter is the best medicine and why my kids are the cause of that laughter? How could you not laugh with those two? I keep telling myself that I should have kept a diary and wrote down all the funny stuff they've done and said over the years and made a book out of it. It would be a best seller! I wish I had a better memory too because I know there are tons of funny things in the past that they've said and done that I haven't written down in their baby books or on my blog. I guess there's an opportunity to start something new! :)

1 comment:

Tisha said...

love those stories. so cute.