Quick post....
Sorry, no pictures. Just a quick post about my Mother's Day.
I woke up Sunday morning to hear Chris out in the dining room with the boys. I walked out to the dining room - eyes barely awake, hair all messed up and looking FABULOUS (NOT!) - to find Chris giving the boys their breakfast already and their dress clothes laid out neatly on the couch. :) As soon as Cole saw me, he smiled and said, "Happy Mother's Day!" Mason looked kind of shy and confused. Chris had to coax him - "What are you supposed to say to mommy?" "Happy birthday...???" he said with a slight smile on his face. :) It was cute. I knew what he meant.
I knew Chris wasn't going to services with us because he still wasn't back to normal yet from his surgery, so I said, "Honey, I can take care of them. You go to bed." He said, "No. It's Mother's Day. You go get ready and I'll take care of them and then get you your breakfast." I said, "Did you get a good nights' sleep then?" He said, "No. I slept awful and I'm exhausted, but I want to do this for you." How sweet is that?! So, I left and got myself ready while Chris took care of the boys for me. He even poured my cereal for me after I was ready. :)
Later that day, I started feeling a little down and started feeling a little sorry for myself. I was hearing stories of how other mother's were celebrating their Mother's Day and I was starting to feel sad that I wasn't being taken out for dinner or anything else special. I was going home right after services because I didn't want Chris home alone for too long and I wanted us to be together at least. I was going to be grabbing fast food on the way home for my "Mother's Day meal". It was going to be a day to remember! On the way home, Cole gave me trouble and was all upset at me because he wanted to eat at Bob Evan's for lunch. I said "no" and that I was picking fast food. It was Mother's Day and my choice. Long story short - I rode home in silence because Mason was sleeping and Cole was sitting in the back seat glaring out the window with his arms crossed and a scowl on his face. My Mother's Day just kept getting better and better!
So, we stopped and grabbed Taco Bell and took it home. To add one more lovely thing to my day...Mother Nature decided she wanted to visit also! OF COURSE! WHY NOT! That was the kind of day I was having! I was tired and started getting grumpy after we ate, so I laid down on the couch and took a nap. I woke up to the boys standing by the couch, smiles on their faces and their hands behind their backs. They said, "Happy Mother's Day!" and pulled two hand made cards out from behind their backs. :) Then they told me that they helped Dad clean the house for me and put the laundry away. That beat going out to eat and getting a big present!
I took some time to reflect on my Mother's Day later on and I realized...Mother's Day is what you make it. Not what you get, how it's celebrated in your honor, what restaurant you go to, what big expensive present you get - it's what you make it and if you choose to enjoy it and put a smile on your face and just be happy to be with the people you love on that day. I decided to turn my frown upside down and I enjoyed my Mother's Day! My husband, who was feeling sick and tired and had a headache and was completely exhausted from not getting a good nights' sleep, got up early, let me sleep in, took care of the boys for me, and then helped them clean the house, do the dishes, and put away the laundry all for me! How could I feel justified in feeling sorry for myself about the day I was having. He was so unselfish and loving that day and made my Mother's Day the best I've had in a while! It was a quiet, peaceful day spent with my 3 favorite guys! :) What more could I ask for?
1 comment:
I wanted to hit the "Like" button : )
Post a Comment