Saturday, June 26, 2010

Queen Size

Once again, my boys have proven why they keep me laughing. I'm amazed at the things they'll come up with sometimes. Today, they had me doubled over in laughter.

I took the boys over to swim in Joe and Paulette's pool today. Chris and Joe went riding up north and it was beautiful outside, so we took advantage of it. Cole is like a little fish in the water. He still wears arm floaties (something we are trying to fix this summer), but he gets those arms and legs moving and he goes all over that pool! Today he wanted to jump. He started out on the ladder. He was jumping from the second to the top step. He would yell, "And now! The amazing Cole Stuve!" and then plug his nose and jump in. I said, "You know what would be even more amazing? If you jumped off the TOP step!" lol He wasn't too sure if he wanted to try, but he eventually gave in and he loved it. So, for about 5-10 minutes or so he jumped off the top step. Then I said, "Hey Cole. You know what would be even more amazing than that?!" He said "What?" "If you jumped off the SIDE of the pool!" He didn't like that idea. Then Grandma said, "Cole, if you jump in from the side of the pool, I'll buy you a full candy bar." This got Cole thinking. After a few attempts that ended in backing out at the last second, he finally did it. He came up out of the water and yelled, "I LOVED THAT! THAT WAS AWESOME!" lol So, that's all he did for the rest of the time in the pool! Mason wanted to jump in too. He started off the top step of the ladder and would jump into my arms. Then he said, "I want a candy bar too like Cole." I said, "If you jump off the top step of the ladder without me catching you, I'll buy you one." He would try but get too scared. So I eventually just started catching less and less each time until he was jumping in without me holding him. I had to go to the store to buy a few things, so Paulette was going to watch the boys for me while I went. She also asked me to pick up Cole's candy bar for him while I was out. I said, "Cole, what kind of candy bar do you want?" He said, "Reese's peanut butter cups. King size." I laughed and said, "No, you can't have king size." Then he said, without skipping a beat, "How about queen size?" lol Nice try!

Later on, after we all came in from the pool and changed, the boys wanted to play games. First we played Bingo (Mason's choice), and Cole won so he picked Spoons next. As I was shuffling the cards, I noticed two jokers in the pile so I took them out. Mason asked why we weren't using them. I told him because there were only two jokers and we needed 4 jokers. He said, "We have enough." Then he proceeded to point to each of us sitting at the table and said, "One..two...three...four! See? Four!" lol

Since Mason is too young to play or understand the game of Spoons, I told him he could help me. I said, "When I tell you to, grab me a spoon from the middle of the table as fast as you can." I wasn't sure how this would work but thought we'd give it a try. When I got my 4 matches, I leaned down and whispered, "Grab a spoon." He just sat there. Well, Paulette heard my "whisper" and started grabbing a spoon. I didn't want Cole to get my spoon before I did so I just reached out and got it. We needed a new system. lol So, I decided to let Mason sit in my chair while I stood next to him with my foot on the chair by his leg. I told him, "When I nudge you like this...(and then showed him), that means grab a spoon." I figured, this is easy. They can't see me nudge him under the table with my foot. This should be safe. He can manage this. WRONG! After a few minutes, I got my 4 matches. I took my foot and poked him in the leg. Nothing. He just sat there. So I nudged him harder. Nothing. Then I did it even harder. Mason turned, looked at me and yelled, "OWWH!!" LOL I reached out and just grabbed the spoon myself! Both of us were laughing so hard! Sweet Mason. He tried. I gave him another chance and he did better. Every time I nudged him he would reach out and grab his spoon real quick and quiet. :)

I think maybe next time we play a game, I'll think twice about his "help". :)

No comments: