Being the wonderful wife that I am - I headed out to do my weekly lawn work. I ride the lawn mower, and sometimes do the push mower and do the trim work with it. Lately we've had some issues with our push mower though and so currently it is out of commission. So, I took the boys outside to play while I cut the grass. In our back yard, we have a large grape vine that lines our property line. I don't do anything with it so the leaves and vines are large and overgrown. I usually just ride along the side of it as close as I can and cut the grass and that's it. Well, today I did the same as usual, except this time the lawn mower made a crunching noise and I felt something hard pass through the blades. Hmm...must have a been a big branch or stick. So I turned to look in the yard to see what the lawn mower spit out. Instead of seeing a piece of broken up wood, I saw fur and a chunk of red, fleshy meat and some bone laying in the yard. Instantly the hairs on my neck stood up and I got goose bumps. Anyone who knows me knows that I HATE dead animals. They seriously creep me out and I get all weird! I can deal with bugs - no problem - but anything bigger than a house fly creeps me out. Dead or alive. But dead is really bad! I thought to myself, "Do I dare turn around to see what kind of animal I just ran over?" I assumed it was maybe a ground hog since we've had trouble with ground hogs in our back yard lately. So, I mustered up enough courage to turn and look. I saw gray and white hair all tangled up in a big blob. I'm assuming it was a rabbit or a cat. I did NOT want to pass by there again, but I had to. The grass needed to be cut and if I avoided that area of the backyard it would have thrown it all off. The grass would have looked uneven instead of having the nice squared just cut look to it. I couldn't have any of that. So as I got closer to the dead animal I ran over, I closed my eyes so I wouldn't see it. lol Yes, I'm weird, but I would have rather looked stupid to my neighbors closing my eyes than looking at the poor dead animal I just ran over. I think it was a leg or something that I ran over. So after I got over the shock and disgust of running the animal over, I finished up the yard. Well, I came to the back part of the house by the kitchen and something caught my eye. I looked on the ground and saw a dead bird on the ground. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! What's up with the dead animals?!!!!!! I finished up the yard fine and didn't run into anymore animals, thankfully. My next project I was planning to tackle was the weeds in the flower bed and all along the fence between our yard and the neighbor's. I was afraid to work in the flower bed because the way my day was going, I just knew I was going to run into another dead bird or a dead mouse or something. I decided to brave it because the weeds were so bad. Our weed wacker isn't working right now either, otherwise I would have just used that to knock down all the weeds. I grabbed my pretty purple gardening gloves and my little gardening spade and set out to pull some weeds. Some of them had gotten so big and round at the bottoms that I couldn't pull them out. So I went inside and grabbed the scissors. Yes, I said scissors. I was going to get rid of these weeds no matter what! I grabbed a huge fist full of weeds and started cutting away. It took a little bit to cut through the thick stems, but I eventually got it. I tossed them to the side and set out for the next weed. I lifted my left hand and happened to notice that the tip of the thumb on my gardening glove was missing! LOL I accidentally cut that off too with the weeds! No wonder I had such a hard time cutting! Good thing my thumb is short and didn't go all the way to the end of the glove! Bwahaha! All that time I thought it was the just the weeds! Little did I know I was cutting my leather gardening gloves too! Good thing the weed wacker wasn't working....I probably would have cut off a toe! lol
The boys were enjoying riding their bikes in the driveway and I really needed to get the rest of the weeds pulled. As I was bent down pulling weeds (without the scissors), I hear a loud, "PSHHH!!!!" sound behind me. I turn and look to see Mason stopped behind me on his bike. He looked at me and said, "Uh-oh!" lol Right away I knew what that sound was. I went and looked at his bike tire and sure enough, there was a huge hole in the tire! The boys skid and slide on their bikes so much that they wore the tire right out! The last section that I wanted to pull weeds from was the fence line. I was bent over, concentrating very hard on pulling the weeds when all of a sudden my neighbor's pit bull came running up to the fence and started barking very loudly in my face! I thought I was going to have a heart attack! I jumped because it scared me so bad! His face was literally about 3 three inches from my face! Good thing there was a fence there otherwise I might not have a face left! I quickly finished and went inside. I had had enough!
Then...while making a grilled cheese sandwich for Mason's lunch, I decided I needed to call my sister in law before I forgot to wish her a happy anniversary. We got talking and laughing about my day until I started smelling something burning. I forgot about Mason's sandwich. It was a very nice dark burnt black! :) She was laughing so hard! I told her I needed to go back to bed and start my day all over again. She advised me to not operate any machinery. lol I think that's a good idea. I better get off my computer before I ruin that too!
1 comment:
Rabbit Killer! : )
Post a Comment