Wednesday, March 23, 2011

and the runner up is.....

I don't know if Kelly will think that my evening/night is worthy of being the runner up to her terrible night, but I'd like to give it a shot. We'll let you be the judge....

*** Side note - there will be no pictures (except for the ones I took at the doctor's office). Trust me. You'll be glad!

Yesterday Mason had his physical. It was actually his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year physical all rolled into one since I am bad about scheduling our yearly check ups and hadn't brought him in since he had his 12 month check up. Don't worry - the doctor already gave me a hard time about it. :) - not really. He just teased me about it. Anyways - so because of the missed check ups, Mason was due for 5 immunizations. He had to be all caught up in order to register for Kindergarten (which Chris was going up to the school to do that evening). I prepared him for the fact that he would be getting shots. I didn't tell him how many - I mean, does he really have to know the exact number? I told him that if he was really good I'd buy him a full sized candy bar. Now I'm sure some of you mothers out there, who shall remain nameless - (TISHA) - are thinking "Just a candy bar for getting 5 shots?! I'd buy my kid a toy!" WE aren't trying to spoil our kids. (lol) Well, following through on what kind of mother she is, Aunt Tisha told me to tell Mason that she would buy him a toy if he was a big boy for his shots. She informed me to stop and buy him one and she would pay me back. I then informed her that if I was buying the toy for Mason that was supposed to be from her and for her to pay me back, I was getting my kid one big expensive toy then! :)

Mason did really well. He climbed right up on the big table and sat there patiently while the nurse checked him over. Then he followed her like a big boy down the hall to do his eye exam. He was so cute. I had to hold my hand over his one eye while he read off the chart. The hallway was pretty busy with nurses walking around, but every nurse that walked by, stopped what they were doing to watch Mason do his eye exam. They were oohing and ahhing over him and cheering him on and telling him "good job" - it was cute. I was afraid he would get too shy and not do so well, but they said he had perfect vision. :)











The nurse did a hearing screening on him - he flunked. But the doctor said that sometimes kids don't understand the instructions so he was going to have them re-take it. He passed the second time. Whew! After they told me he flunked the first one, all these thoughts were running through my head like "What if they don't accept him because he's considered legally deaf" or "What if he has to wear hearing aids at 5 years old?".... I could have thought of tons of other horrible possibilities, but I stopped myself.

His check up went well. He's 10% for weight and 3% for height. Yes. I said 3%. Betcha can't guess who he gets THAT from! When the doctor said the height part, he smirked and looked at me. I'm guessing he thinks I'm the cause for that. The funny thing was that as the doctor was looking at the chart to figure out his percentages, I jokingly said, "Please tell me he at least made it into the 20% for weight and height." LOL Wow was I WAY off!

Because I hadn't had Mason in for a check up in 3 years, he was due for a lead test, which was getting his blood drawn. I told the doctor, "I'm headed to the lab before we leave to get mine done so I can just do his at the same time." Well, that was before he got his 5 shots! The doctor informed me that they had no combos so Mason would have to end up getting stuck 5 separate times. He asked if I wanted to do them another day, but the school said he had to have his immunizations up to date for registry. So I figured I might as well just get it done since I'm there. I did ask if he could have two nurses do two shots at the same time though. I figured if he was getting poked in one arm, it wouldn't really matter if he was getting poked in the other one at the same time.....right? So the two nurses come in. He watched their every move! The one nurse asked me to climb up on the table with him and put him on my lap. As I was lifting him up, he asks, "What are you doing, Mom?" I was like, "Oh, Mommy wants to hold you and give you a big hug." So, he's sitting on my lap, I have my arms wrapped around him holding his arms and hands down. The nurses come up on each side of him and start rolling his sleeve up. He looks back and forth between them real quick and says, "What are they doing, Mom?" Then I hear the nurse say, "Ready. One. Two. Three." And then I brace myself.....Mason started squirming and then he yelled, "Owww!!!! That hurts!" Then his yell turned into a hurt cry and then he said in between cries, "Do it softer! Do it softer!" :( My heart ached for him. I was trying to hold his arms still so the needle didn't go in farther, but he is STRONG! And his little legs were squirming all over the place trying to get away from the pain. I was afraid he was going to slide right off my lap! By the time the first round of pokes were done, they didn't even wait for the second and third or do their "one, two, three" count. They just stuck him! It didn't take long to calm him down afterwards. Especially when the nurse asked if he wanted a sucker and sticker. He even took her hand and followed her down the hall to pick them out. As we were getting our coats back on in the room, the doctor came by to see how Mason was doing. I looked at him and said, "I think I'm going to hold off on the blood draw for another time." lol He laughed and said, "I think that's a good idea."

Fast forward to when we got home at noon. Mason got his blankets because he was cold and tired and climbed up into the recliner and that's where he stayed pretty much until around 4:30. He fell asleep and took a good nap. I gave him Tylenol because he was running a low grade fever, which I attributed to the 5 shots. After his nap, he asked for his bag of Cheetos (he picked that instead of a candy bar) and apple juice. He laid in the recliner, had his snack, and then asked if he could lay on the couch in the breezeway and watch cartoons with Cole. So I carried him out there. Occasionally I would check on him and he would just be lying there, wrapped in his blankets with his eyes closed. I figured I'd just leave him, let him fall asleep and then put him in his bed. It was around 7:30 that I went and checked on him. I noticed he had little tears around his eyes. I said, "Mason?" He opened his eyes and started crying. "What's wrong?" He sobbed, "I'm tired!" I picked him up and carried him into the house. I figured I would just get his pj's on him and put him to bed. We stopped in the living room as Chris stopped to talk to him and rub his back. That's when it started. I heard a gurgling noise and felt warm liquid running down my shoulder and arm. He had thrown up his juice and Cheetos all in my hair and all down my side and onto the carpet. Chris had instinctively reached his hands out to catch it, so his hands were covered. He took off to grab towels while I laid Mason on the floor to get the blanket out to use as a bowl. Just as I laid him down and started reaching for the blanket, he hurled again! It spewed from his mouth like a fountain and landed on his face and in his hair! Smart move, Tasha! So I dragged him, the puke covered blankets and myself into the bathroom. I got him leaned over the toilet while I started shedding all my clothing. As I'm doing that and he's leaning over the toilet crying, Chris comes running in the bathroom. I look at him and he's inhaling and exhaling like he's giving birth. He says, "Whew! I almost threw up. Actually, I did a little in my mouth." lol Poor thing. He was trying to clean up the carpet and kept gagging. After Mason reassures me that he's done, I take off all his clothes and put us both in the tub. We washed our bodies and hair SEVERAL times! After we got out, I got him in pj's and put him to bed with a huge bowl right next to his head! lol I helped Chris finish cleaning the carpet, and then we tried to whined down for the rest of the evening and watched tv. We kept joking about the Cheetos the rest of the night. Mason hadn't finished his bag and so it was sitting on the table. Chris picked it up and handed it to me and asked me if I wanted some. Then later in bed, when Chris asked if I had packed him his lunch I said, "Yep. You wanted Cheetos in your lunch, right?" lol I don't think we're going to be buying Cheetos for this house for a very long time!

I got interrupted sleep. Mason woke up quite a few times saying he was thirsty. I was hesitant to give him anything yet, so I kept telling him "later". Then I kept waking up to check their temperatures. Finally at 5:30 am, Chris and I decided it was safe to give Mason a couple sips of water. It is now 11:30 and he's had a few sips of water and some dried Cheerios and he's held it all down and hasn't complained about his stomach hurting. His whole body is aching though. :(

I know my night wasn't filled with several puking episodes, or a tornado warning, or a child who kept coming in my bedroom, or an alarm that wouldn't get shut off, but I think my evening and night were pretty close to Kelly's and deserving of second place. :) Especially since Chris and I both WORE the puke! lol

Try and beat that, Kelly! :)

3 comments:

they keep me laughing said...

Ok. Re-read my blog post and I have a correction to make. I just realized that I ended my blog in challenging Kelly to outdo my night. DUH!! She already did and that's why I was calling my night a runner up! lol Let me remind you that I wrote this blog this morning after having hit and miss sleep last night. That's my excuse and I'm stickin' to it!

Organized Chaos said...

Hahahaha! Poor Mason : ( Was the throwing up from the shots or is he starting the stomach flu at your house...

Rochelle said...

Oh how I hate shot day at the doctor! I went from tears to gagging... what an emotional roller coaster! And... I hate that Max and Ruby show too -- where are their parents????????