Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Nail file ?

Last night while Chris and I were in the living room, we heard Mason crying. (Mason was sitting in his bed because he was in trouble.) It was a hurt cry. Not an I'm-upset-because-I-got-sent-to-my-bed cry. Plus, he'd been sitting there a while and hadn't been crying. So Chris ran in there and I heard Mason say in between sobs, "Something in my nail hurts." Then I heard Chris say, "Lets go get a flashlight so I can look and see." So Chris carried him out into the kitchen where he grabbed a flashlight. I followed behind. When Chris shone the light on his fingers, we discovered that the tops of his nails were gone. Like they had been filed all the way down to where part of the skin under the nail was visible and out in the open. There were little scratch marks on his nails too. Chris said, "Ohh, buddy. What happened to your nails?" Again, in between sobs Mason said, "I don't know!" We asked him if he fell down and hit them on something, although we didn't know how falling could have rubbed the tops of his nails all the way down. He said he hadn't. Then he said, "I was scratching the steps on the ladder of the bunk bed." There it was. The reason for the filed down nails. He apparently discovered that if you scratch the sand paper on the bunk bed steps, your nails make pretty white scratch marks on it. lol Chris and I kind of chuckled. Then Chris pulled him up on his lap and gave him a big hug while saying, "I'm sorry, Mason. There's nothing I can do to make your nails feel better. You can't rub your fingers and nails on that stuff. It's sand paper!" I felt bad for him, but at the same time I was laughing a little. I said, "Couldn't you tell it was hurting your nails and your fingers?" He shook his head "no". Maybe he was scratching so fast and so hard that the damage was done before he could really notice or feel it. Well, I think it's safe to say that Mason won't be scratching the steps of the bunk bed anymore. :) I said to Chris later that night, "Why do you think he did that?" Chris replied, "He probably discovered that his nails made white marks on it and so he colored the whole thing in with his nails." That explanation got a big laugh from me. :) I'm not laughing at my son's hurting nail stubs, but it is kind of funny.....right?

1 comment:

Organized Chaos said...

Sometimes they just have to learn by experience-LOL!