Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Georgetown, KY

We took off one day early for our vacation to beat the rain. So, we ended up leaving on Friday after Chris got out at noon. We met Mom and Dad at the gas station, got our walkie talkies all geared up, Chris got Dad all set with his bluetooth headset, and then we were off with me leading the pack! YIKES! I had the GPS so I felt pretty good, but I was nervous about making sure everyone stayed behind me and I didn't lose anyone. I don't think I did too bad though. Even though we were driving on straight expressways, I kept things interesting and changed lanes quite a bit. Not just to do it - I was passing people, but then I'd get back over so other people in the fast lane could pass us. I had to watch my tripometer so every 90 miles we could stop and let my Dad get gas too. So, we made quite a few stops that day before we finally arrived in Georgetown at The Winners Circle Motel.

The next morning, Cole looked out our window and noticed there was a flea market right next to the motel. It was so dark when we had gotten in the night before that we didn't notice anything. So, we got the boys ready and then Mom and Dad took them to the flea market while we got ready. On our way out to the flea market to meet them, Chris noticed a power sports store next to the parking lot. Of course he had to stop in! There was a little orange and white cat that kept following us all over the parking lot. We guessed it was a stray. It followed us to the car, and followed us right into the power sports store! (Chris said there was something wrong with its' back legs because it was walking funny.) Then it followed us over towards the flea market! It didn't cross the road though, so we thankfully got rid of it! Let me just say that a down south flea market is NOT what I thought it would be. When I think of flea markets, I think of booths that sell new stuff but at cheaper prices. They're all nicely packaged and look nice and all the booths are organized. Boy was I surprised!!! This flea market was full of people's JUNK!!! Boxes that looked like they just cleaned out their garage or basement and threw it all in a box and put a price on it. I couldn't believe the old dirty junk people were trying to sell! Needless to say - I didn't buy anything. :)


Breakfast at Fava's....
Photobucket


Photobucket
(Chris doesn't like to smile for pictures and Cole doesn't want to show his Billy Bob teeth. lol)

Photobucket
(My Mom made them smile for this one lol)

Photobucket

Photobucket
(A little blurry, but it's still a cute pic)

Photobucket
(Downtown Georgetown)

On our way to Frankfort (Kentucky's capitol)....
Photobucket

Couldn't resist this next picture.....
Photobucket
...He totally drove his lawn mower to the gas station to put gas in it! lol We were at a red light, so I opened up my car door to get the picture. Notice the other guy pumping gas staring at me like, "What? That's normal!" lol

Photobucket

Photobucket
...The road we took to Frankfort had the prettiest scenery! Not mountains, but beautiful countryside and gorgeous homes!!!

Photobucket
(...we passed tons of these kind of looking plants growing in people's fields. Chris guessed tobacco.)

Photobucket
...The view going into Frankfort. Notice the homes on the edge of the mountain side?

Photobucket
...that railroad track right down the center of the two lanes of traffic going through town.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We stopped in at a museum for Frankfort. The upstairs had tons of stuff about local people who were in the war and had pictures and actual pieces of uniforms and things. The boys thought it was very interesting! They were constantly asking Chris questions. It was really cute to hear them get excited about it and hear Chris explaining everything to them. :)
Photobucket

For Joe.....
Photobucket
....Umm - my team would like their point back because you said it was Bridge over the River Kwai, but that's clearly not the name of the movie! lol (We played charades and that was one of the movies that Joe chose for my team to act out...)

Photobucket

The old capitol building....
Photobucket
Dad didn't want to try to get down to the new capitol building because we were hauling the trailer with Chris's bike on it and he wasn't sure if there was any room to turn around at the bottom of the hill.

Photobucket

Photobucket
(...We stopped for some ice cream and bottled root beer)

Photobucket
(...it'd been so long since I'd seen a telephone booth that I had to get a picture of one. Obviously there's no phone in it, but the booth was cool. It reminded me of telephone booths in London)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We had lunch reservations back in Georgetown at the Lock & Key. It was the old bank that was turned into a coffee shop and gift store but they turned the old bank vault into a dining room for 6 people and you could reserve it for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Photobucket
...going into the vault.

It was nice. Since it's a coffee shop, you go and order your food at the counter and bring it back to your table in the vault. I guess it's just the whole experience of eating in an old bank vault.


Photobucket

Photobucket

The only thing I didn't like about the vault was they had filled up the one whole side of the vault with business advertisements. I was sitting there looking at the advertisements when one caught my eye....
Photobucket

I started laughing and pointed to it and said, "Chris! Look! I think that's the cat from this morning!" LOL I really think it was! That makes sense why it was walking funny too!

Tisha, Nathan and the boys came in around dinner time on Saturday. Tisha wanted to go to a BBQ restaurant in Lexington that is famous for being on some Food Network show, so we all piled in our cars and started out. We hadn't left the parking lot yet because we were trying to find the restaurant on our GPS so everyone could follow us. All of a sudden, the clouds that we noticed coming in over our heads were moving faster and it started down pouring! Torrential! And with the rain came strong winds! The wind was so strong it was shaking the car! I thought we were in a tornado! It got dark real fast and the way the wind was shaking our car....I was doing a whole bunch of praying! Then Chris noticed that my Dad's motorcycle was tipped over. The wind was so strong that it knocked my Dad's 900 lb bike over! There was nothing we could do. The wind was so strong that if Chris had tried to help my Dad put it back up, it would have just knocked it over again and probably knocked them over with it! We all just had to sit in our cars and wait. Poor Cole was hysterical. He was crying because he thought we were in a tornado, I was nervous the car was going to tip over with us in it...Thankfully Chris's bike was strapped down to the trailer and it was fine. We waited out the storm for the next 30 minutes or so and then when it was calmed down, Chris and Dad picked up the bike to assess the damage. Thankfully there was none! His foot rest was a little bent but Chris easily twisted it back and that was it! We couldn't believe it! His crash bars and foot peg saved the bike from hitting the ground and getting scratched. While Dad and Chris wiped down the bike, we noticed something....

Photobucket

I don't know if you can tell in these pictures, but there was a double rainbow. And both rainbows went all the way around! I had never seen that before in my life! It was so beautiful!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Sunday, we headed out early for services in Lexington and then a short 3 hr drive to Pigeon Forge.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
....Chris said, "Either it just rained hard here, or that's how much humidity is out there!" lol

Photobucket
....LOL!

We stopped to fill up in Pigeon Forge before we got to our cabin and I couldn't resist this picture....
Photobucket
...notice the sticker on the back window and who is pumping gas into THEIR car? lol


No comments: