Wednesday, August 24, 2011

last day happenings

Saturday morning we said "goodbye" to our beautiful cabin in the mountains. We definitely enjoyed ourselves. I would go and stay there and do all of that all over again! I always enjoy any vacation, really. It is so relaxing to be away, no stress, no responsibilities. Just us and family and friends having a good time.

Chris and I were discussing earlier on in our vacation how blessed we are. We are 30, he has a good job. Good enough that we can afford for me to stay home. He has a good enough job that allows him to have his man toys (aka motorcycle and quad). We are blessed that we can afford to go on vacations every year. All around - we are one blessed family! God has truly blessed us and we are always grateful and mindful of that.

I wanted pictures of everyone at the cabin before we left because I don't think I had gotten any group pictures at all.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
...Mason standing close by his buddy. Jamie and Stephan got in late Thursday night and it didn't take Mason long to grow attached to Jamie. Everything was "I want Jamie to do it," or "I want Jamie to ride it with me,"...it was cute.

Photobucket

Our last big outing before we left was to visit a cave.
Photobucket

Photobucket

We walked around the little gift shop for a few minutes while we waited for our guided tour to begin.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
....and don't think I wasn't seriously thinking about buying one either! lol

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
...waiting on the ramp to do down into the cave.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
....LOL!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
....the ONE thing we were allowed to touch down there

Photobucket

Photobucket

After the cave, we all met back with Mom and Dad at their new hotel they were going to stay in for the next two nights. Jamie and Stephan treated everyone to a delicious Mexican lunch and then we said our "goodbyes". Before we headed off for Lexington, KY...Chris wanted to take us through the mountains.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Along the road they have stop off points where you can get out and take pictures and enjoy the view. One of the ones we came up to said Laurel Falls. I asked Chris to stop. We started walking in the direction of the falls and then realized that it was a 1.3 mile walk up the mountain to get there! We were hot and tired, but I said "Let's do it anyways". So we started the trek up the mountain. The path you're walking on is about the width of a sidewalk. It was paved, but the outside edge of the pavement was crumbling and falling apart. Right next to that unstable pavement was a huge drop off! They had signs all over saying that deaths had occurred there and to watch small children. So we had a death grip on the boys as we climbed the mountain side.

Photobucket

Of course, Mason complained of walking up the mountain and asked to be carried. I was hot and tired, but I gave in because I hadn't gotten any exercise that week. :)
Photobucket

Photobucket
...our view as we climbed the mountain.

We were tired and hot and sweaty by the time we made it to the top, but the walk was worth it! The falls weren't huge by any stretch of the imagination, but the water fell into a small pool at the bottom that you could walk in. You would walk right up to the falls and stick your head or arms in it. It felt so good to cool off in the water!
Photobucket
....the water was a bit cold at first, obviously by Cole's face.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


After we were done, we decided it was time to go back to the car, grab a snack and a drink and finish our drive through the mountains. When we got back to the car we realized it was past 7 pm already!!! We put in our hotel destination in Lexington into the GPS to see what time we would be arriving....11:37 pm!!! We quickly drove through the rest of the mountains until we saw a small picnic area to stop off at. Chris wanted to the boys to be able to get out and play in the stream that wound all the way through the mountain with the road.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We had our fun....now on our way home....

Photobucket

No comments: