Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A super duper fun day!

Saturday was our skating day. We had mentioned skating to the boys during the week and so they had been looking forward to playing hockey. I was thinking just ice skating, but since Chris bought me a hockey stick while we were at the hockey store, I guess I was in the game too. :) I like playing hockey too. As long as it's not too aggressive. I was just worried about staying upright though. I'm not the best ice skater. Put me on roller blades and I'm fine, but I'm not that comfortable on ice skates. Then you give me a hockey stick and tell me to chase a puck around and try to actually maneuver it into a goal? - now that's asking too much! lol

Thursday night we went and got Mason some ice skates, and Chris got some new gloves because his old hockey gloves had to fabric on the palm of the gloves.

We were all set. Matt and Rachel had spent the night at Mom and Dad's, so they brought their stuff to skate and play hockey too. We were all really excited.

We were worried about being able to skate at all because when the guys went and checked the ice, it was pretty rough. Chris took our snowblower down to the ice and they had a shovel and they scraped and cleaned the ice the best they could. We were going to give it a try!

It was fun. The ice wasn't the best, but I've skated on worse. There were parts of the ice that were so choppy and it didn't look like it and you'd be skating along, and all of a sudden you'd hit this rough spot and have to jog across the ice just to keep from falling over. lol So, there was about 1/4 of the rink they made that we didn't use because of that. Sometimes I would forget where the rough part started when I was into the game and just trying to chase the puck around and I'd hit that rough ice and go straight down. Good thing Chris had me put on knee pads because I definitely used them! The funniest wipe out was when I was going for the puck (which seems to be an ongoing theme here, but I didn't handle the puck too much. I spent more time chasing it.). I couldn't slow down and I was headed right for the snow bank on the side of the rink. The snow blower and gas can were also right in front of me. I couldn't stop and so my feet slid straight into the snow, which stopped me, and then sent my upper body flying forward into the snow. I fell face first into the snow and knocked over the gas can on my way down. lol I was laughing so hard though that it took me a while to stand up. :)

After hockey, we went back to the house where Mom was waiting with Chili and breadsticks. :) Well, while she was working on the breadsticks, Matt and Chris jumped on the quads.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Matt was drifting all over the place and he had snow flying everywhere!

Photobucket

The picture on the right in the collage above, is Matt laughing after he spun around and his back tires got stuck on a big snow bank and made his front end come up. Luckily, it landed back the right way.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Notice Matt drifting by Chris who is just sitting there watching him? Now look at the next picture.

Photobucket

He plastered Chris with snow. lol

Photobucket

Photobucket

This was Matt's first wipe out. I got him on the way down. :)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Cole wanted to watch while I took pictures, and I think a certain dog wanted a little attention too.

Photobucket

Photobucket

After lunch, I took a cat nap with Hannah. :)

Photobucket

Then Rachel and I headed out for some fun on the quads.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The picture above is me pulling myself back away from the ditch so I can turn around. I was too scared to drift. I went to try it, but then I chickened out. :) Chris was walking down the driveway to check and see what had happened, and I was laughing and waved to let him know I was fine. After explaining to me how to drift and assuring me that I wouldn't tip over, I finally got the hang of it - and it was a BLAST!!!!!

Photobucket

It didn't take Rachel long to get the hang of snow drifting. Her only problem was she'd keep drifting into the ditch and get stuck. :)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The picture above is dark on purpose so you can see the tire track from Rachel's quad. See how close it is to the mail box? Yeah. She came within one inch of the neighbor's mail box. :)

Photobucket

Rachel had enough of the ditches, so she handed the quad over to Matt and this is what he did with it....

Photobucket


I actually was not on my quad when he did this. I had gotten off and let Rachel take over for a little bit to give my hand a break. I was gripping the handle bars so tight and my hands were so cold that they were cramping up on me. Rachel handed me her little video camera and asked me to tape her and Matt. I had just figured out how to zoom on it and had it pointed on Matt right when he flipped the quad up on its' back end. :) So their video clip of that has my voice loud and clear in the recording gasping and then laughing and saying, "Dude! I got it all on video!!!"

After that little incident, we decided to quit while some of us were still ahead and go inside and play Seafarer's.

We had a blast that day! We were super tired and super sore, but we enjoyed every single second of that day! :)

No comments: